At a time when the pace of life seems busier than ever, it can be difficult to eat healthy meals on a regular basis. Snacking is a great way to prevent hunger feelings and avoid overeating when you finally get a chance to sit down and relax.
The key to effective snacking is in finding something healthy, yet sustaining. Below is a list of healthy snacks you can munch on between meals:
- Fruits and vegetables – These provide nutrients as well as fiber. Nutrient dense foods are lower in calories per gram, and fiber creates a feeling of fullness, reducing hunger and the chance of overeating.
- Low fat dairy products – Yogurt and cheeses are good choices for dairy snacks. Dairy products are nutritious and healthy when excess fat is eliminated.
- Lite popcorn – Popcorn is a very low calorie snack (about 150 calories per 3.5 cups). Season it with spices or lightly with salt.
- Whole grain crackers – These bite-sized treats go well with cheese and can be very filling. Whole grains provide nutrients and slow-burning carbohydrates for energy. Be careful to note the serving size on the back of the box. You could be consuming more calories than you think by eating multiple servings.
- Nuts – Nuts provide some of the good fats that our bodies need. There is a variety to choose from and they can be very filling.
- Snack bars – These bars can be very nutritious, but choose carefully. Look for one with fiber, no high fructose corn syrup, and less than 200 calories. Check out our nutrition label article for other things to watch out for.
- Water – Nothing beats water in calories per serving (it has no calories). Water is not only filling, but it keeps you hydrated making the body run smoother and improving digestive function.
Snacking is important in managing meals and calorie control. Done carefully, snacking can provide nutrition and prevent overeating at meal time.About the Author: Coach T. is an ACE Certified Health Coach and an NSCA Certified Personal Trainer. Follow Coach T. and TD Fitness on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.